Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Enabling My Habit - The Library

I adore the public library.  It is not just a place to get an overdose supply worth of books, but also movies. What is that you say?  Why, yes, I have heard of Amazon and Netflix, but nothing beats the library when it comes to value.

The library has saved me hundreds of dollars and provided me with a clutter free peace of mind.  And yes, I have heard of eBooks, but I am still a stalwart when it comes to the incomparable feeling of holding a physical book, turning pages and closing the book after a satisfying read.

For me, pushing buttons, touching screens and turning dials seem like a cold way to interact with a book.  Speaking of which, the library does offer eBooks (as well as audio books) for you cold-hearted folks out there.  


Cambridge Public Library (2009). 
If Apple sold libraries, I bet this is what they would produce.

There are no limits to the number of books that you can reserve at the library - at least I have yet to hit it. Books can also be renewed online if no one else is requesting the item.  If I happen to return a book late, the fine is a very economical dime a day.  And yes, people still use dimes.

In addition to books, you can reserve movies.  And not just dull documentaries from the 1970s, but also recent releases.  Once a movie is released on DVD, it'll hit the library shelves soon after.  My friends are often surprised by this.

To determine what to add to my reading list, I rely on friends and book reviews - from the New York Times to People Magazine.  Yes, the celebrity gossip magazine.  What can I say, I have varied interests.  I note books of interests, and then sign onto the library's online catalog to reserve the desired titles.

Sometimes I have trouble finding a certain title using the library website's Search feature, so I go to Amazon to find the exact title and/or author name to plug into the library website's Search box.


**Some Stats**

People Who Are Now Believers in the Public Library Because of Me:    at least 4

People Who Think I Am Adorable (Some Say Anachronistic) For Using the Public Library:    at least 40

No comments:

Post a Comment