Sunday, May 20, 2018

Can't Help Myself: Lessons & Confessions from a Modern Advice Columnist by Meredith Goldstein, 2018

Image result for can't help myself meredith goldsteinI wish I was as talented & funny a writer as Meredith Goldstein. 

A fan of her Love Letters column on boston.com & inaugural novel Singles, I was looking forward to reading Can't Help Myself

Even though I knew she would talk about her Mom's battle with cancer.

Hilarious memoir where Meredith talks about giving advice without judgment (something I need to learn to do) which  makes her so endearing.

She talks a lot about her commentators, and how they have become a family and even support group for her.

Honest about past relationships, her non-existent relationship with her father, her 'Rachels' friends in their 20s once her friends have started coupling off, and how she lost interest in dating while dealing with her Mom's health.

She is honest about snapping at her Mom as she goes through chemo, and wishing her Mom would get out of the hospital so she could go home.

More substantive than I though.  Goldstein is self-aware, honest & just plain comedy.


No comments:

Post a Comment