Friday, June 10, 2016

The Knockoff by Lucy Sykes & Jo Piazza, 2015

A mix of NYC fashion (I need to get more familiar with Chloe), challenges "mature" women face in the working world and insight into the tech industry, The Knockoff is a funny and surprising read in that it focuses more on business strategy than the challenges of balancing work and family.

The Knockoff depicts the fall of the once dominant print media with the advent of the Internet at New York fashion magazine Glossy

Having worked for The Washington Post, a print juggernaut similar to Glossy, tales of Editor-in-Chief Imogen Tate's adjustment to a world where advertising money and Fashion Show privileges are no longer rolling in ring true.

I was lucky to leave the print industry before its decline, but not before young MBA graduates were brought in to manage departments that had previously been managed by industry veterans. 

None were nearly as evil or immature as Eve Morton, whose love of Herve Leger bandage dresses really makes her character pop in my mind.

It was a bit disconcerting to read about 42-year-old Imogen's struggle with social media like Twitter and constantly checking her phone for texts to fit in among her 20-something colleagues. 

It was a bit disconcerting because I'm in my 40s and have the similar challenges, or would have similar challenges if I had a Twitter account...!

At least I was able to understand the strategic reasoning behind BUY IT NOW! and the e-commerce terms discussed in the book with my background in e-commerce.


No comments:

Post a Comment