Thursday, June 12, 2014

perfect timing by Jill Mansell, 2009

Jill Mansell books are always good reads. They're perfect for the beach or when I'm feeling particularly stressed and need an escape.

Witty and fast-paced, the books are filled with unique and clever characters. Despite predictable endings, there are many mini-twists along the way so the story never gets too tiresome.

Another reason I enjoy her books is because they are filled with English-isms - not just vernacular, but also pop culture references.

Since my fiance is English, it's fun to share the references with him.  For example: "Claudia slid out of the car and crept, Milk Tray-style, across the road."

I'm familiar with the reference because my fiance's mom had bought me a Cadbury Milk Tray for Christmas one year and the chocolates blew my mind.

My fiance then told me about the Milk Tray commercials, or adverts, that have been running for years where spies covertly and dramatically deliver Milk Tray.

perfect timing's cast of characters include Poppy Dunbar from Bristol, who moves to London and becomes flatmates with the artist Caspar French and socialite Claudia Slade-Welch.  Characters include the colorful jazz musician Alex and his wife Rita, her almost sister-in-law Dina McBride, and co-worker Jake, who Poppy gets to make over.

The story is fun, touching and a good place to spend a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment