Sunday, April 29, 2012

I Have Nothing to Wear! by Jill Martin and Dana Ravich

The fitting subtitle for this book is: A Painless 12-Step Program to Declutter Your Life So You Never Have to Say This Again!

Wearing something that is not your style results in an identify disconnect, not being comfortable in your own skin by virtue of what you are wearing.

This book is an instruction manual that every women should read to learn the basics of style and building a wardrobe that will make you feel great about yourself.

Jill Martin and Dana Ravich break down something as complex as personal style into a handful of steps that will impact your approach to your wardrobe.

Filled with graphics and white space, I Have Nothing to Wear! makes for a quick, easy read for any woman who finds herself muttering these words as she looks at her closet full of clothes.

Style
There are six basic styles.  I always thought of myself as preppy and classic.  Not a fashionista since I tend to avoid trends. 

The six basic styles are:
 1. classic girl - structured basics that will stand the test of time
 2. bohemian girl - soft and flowing, neutral colors such as white, denim, metallic, and tan/brown
 3. preppy girl - structured basics, but more casual and louder
 4. fashionista - latest trends that work for her body
 5. surfer chick - comfortable casual pieces with minimal jewelry, bright colors
 6. soccer mom - functional,  comfortable clothes, solids and dark colors

Fashionista Audrey Hepburn.
A fashionista "will always be chic, and she
will almost always be dressed in black."
While reading I Have Nothing to Wear!, I realized that I really did not know my own style. 

I am a fashionista mixed, oddly enough, with a soccer mom (even though I do not have kids...), with a bit of a classic girl.

This explains why I have always sworn by comfortable clothes and shoes, but have always been drawn to heels and slinky black tops, yet avoided them since I thought I was just trying to be trendy.

Before recognizing my true style, I created wardrobe confusion by trying to dress in something that I thought I was (i.e. preppy) or that looked good on other people.  

Knowing my true style, I know now that if I wear a piece outside of my core style (i.e. a bohemian peasant top), that I need to pair it with something that is part of my core style (i.e. a great fitting, comfortable pair of jeans) so that I will feel like my true self, versus trying to be someone else.

And for those high heels that used to sit in the back of my closet, I wear them almost every day now.

Catharsis: Don't Settle, Be a 10
Once you have reached style awareness, you need to go through your closet to ensure that every piece is a 10 to start the declutter process.

A 10 is something that meets the following criteria:
 * Flatters your figure
 * Shows your personality
 * Is in keeping with your style
 * Is in perfect condition
 * Feels comfortable on your skin

A 10 makes you feel great and confident, and gives you a little swagger.  Something that you would not mind being seen in if you ran into an ex or an ex's sister.

Rounds: Change is a Slow Process
Now it is time to make sure your closet is filled with 10s.  If your closet is filled with 10s, you will end up wearing 10s and therefore, feeling great about yourself.

Like anything else, change is a slow process that needs to be gradually incorproated before it becomes permanent.  As you go through your closet - and do this in phases to make things manageable - categorize each item into: Keep, Maybe or Toss.

For Maybes, remove them from your closet and keep them on a chair or table, so that it becomes a waiting area for when you have more time to try on the item to determine if it is a Keep or Toss item.

If an item ends up in Maybe every other week, remember that you should not settle and if you are not sure whether an item is a 10, it means that it is not a 10.  This same advice applies to men as well as clothes...

Other Basics That No One Ever Taught Us
The book also provides excellent tips on organizing a closet that goes beyond keeping items folded and hung, and introduces practical concepts to help visualize your outfits when deciding what to wear.

It also lists the ten basic items (dark denim jeans, black blazer, little black dress, black skirt, white button-down, black pumps, metallic strappy sandals, black midsize purse, metallic clutch, and wrap) that serve as the foundation of your closet, as well as how the items can be pieced together for work, play and fun. 

My Take Away
It is hard not to suffer from style confusion when shopping with friends or seeing a great outfit on someone else, but if you know your style and stick to your style, the confusion goes away.

For me, I know that my 10s tend to be from the Gap (the pants fit me well), items that complement my legs, and tops that are fitted and black, and accentuates my neck and shoulders.

Like personal finance, style is not taught in school but something people are supposed to figure out on their own.  Yet, both topics are important and things everyone woman (and man) should know.

No comments:

Post a Comment