Sunday, February 26, 2012

Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahnman, 2011

Elevator Pitch Summary: Written by a Noble Prize winner, this book provides an excellent, easy to understand overview on psychology.  Daniel Kahneman is a renown researcher on decision making who has the ability to break down complex theories and ideas into concepts for people without a background in psychology (like me).

Read this if you're in the mood for: Thinking.  And, spending time with a substantive book.  At 512 pages, the book is packed with research summaries, as well as exercises for the readers that are astoundingly accurate in terms of predicting and understanding the thought process. 

The book is broken out into short chapters with summary statements written in simple, generic terms that effectively convey concepts to the reader.  This makes the conveyance of so much knowledge manageable. 

System 1 and System 2
Kahnman uses generic descriptors System 1 and System 2 to describe judgment and decision making.  System 1 does the "fast" thinking - perusing, collecting information rapidly and making quick assumptions. 

For example, when entering a crowded room, System 1 scans the room and makes the assessment of what to do next.  Due to its fast thinking, System 1 tends to make inaccurate and stereotypical assumptions as it looks for shortcuts to process information.

System 2 does the "slow" thinking and is the logical partner that corrects inaccuracies from System 1.  Studies have shown that furrowing eyebrows represents System 2 at work.

Both these systems exist within everyone, so the key is the balance of these two systems.  "...many people are overconfident, prone to place too much faith in their intuitions," Kahnman writes.  "They apparently find cognitive effort at least mildly unpleasant and avoid it as much as possible."

This statement resonates with me; yet so does the following: "Too much concern about how well one is doing in a task sometimes disrupts performance by loading short-term memory with pointless anxious thoughts."
 
Great - this means that I tend to be extreme in my utilization of slow, System 2 thinking.  Either my System 2 is too lazy and allows my System 1 to run the show, or my System 2 kicks into overdrive and shuts down my System 1.  Now that I am aware of my behavior, I realize that I need to work on achieving a balance.

Other Psychological Concepts
The following excerpts from the book resonated with me:

"A reliable way to make people believe in falsehoods is frequent repetition, because familiarity is not easily distinguished from truth."

"Mood evidently affects the operation of System 1: When we are uncomfortable and unhappy, we lose touch with our intuition."

"The measure of success for System 1 is the coherence of the story it manages to create.  The amount and quality of the data on which the story is based are largely irrelevant.  When information is scarce, which is a common occurrence, System 1 operations as a machine for jumping to conclusions."

"The combination of a coherence-seeking System 1 with a lazy System 2 implies that System 2 will endorse many intuitive beliefs..."

Norovirus Interruption
While reading Thinking, Fast and Slow, I caught the norovirus that took out three co-workers and me in one day.  I have since recovered, but the book is due back at the library and with a 400+ waiting list, not something that I can renew.

That said, I did not finish this book, but would like to so plan to return the book and request it again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment